Kirchenlieder - Why Do We Mourn Departing Friends? Songtext
1. Why do we mourn departing friends
Or shake at death's alarms?
'Tis but the voice that Jesus sends
To call them to His arms.
2. Are we not tending upward, too,
As fast as time can move?
Nor would we wish the hours more slow
To keep us from our Love.
3. Why should we tremble to convey
Their bodies to the tomb?
There the dear flesh of Jesus lay
And scattered all the gloom.
4. The graves of all the saints He blessed
And softened every bed.
Where should the dying members rest
But with their dying Head?
5. Thence He arose, ascending high,
And showed our feet the way.
Up to the Lord we, too, shall fly
At the great rising-day.
6. Then let the last loud trumpet sound
And bid our kindred rise:
Awake, ye nations under ground!
Ye saints, ascend the skies!